Wednesday 13 July 2011

Deaf Teenage Poetry Part 2



My Profound Life

I have been left in a silent world where quiet is profound.
Listen, not with your ears but your eyes. 
I watch my friend’s hands make pictures in the air. 
I wonder about the world of sound. 
I fall asleep under the lights surrounded by men in green gowns. 
More silence during the wait, the long wait, before the switch on. 
Excited and nervous as it comes closer to the time. 
Forever and ever electricity in my head going round and round. 
Buzz, am I on a new world full of sound, 
where I can use my ears instead of my eyes, 
make pictures in the air with my mouth instead of my hands? 
Brain awash with noise that becomes sound of voices and birds chirping, 
Although happy as I can now hear better and now know that it will improve. 
Communicating and getting on with people better, 
being a loud, confident person instead of a shy, quiet one. 
Proud to be me.

Katie Bocking


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment